Thursday, October 11, 2012

#4 Hot Pastrami


And... I'm back.  I was out of state for over a week and hence unable to eat any Tat's.  My buddy Lauren and I rectified that problem today.  She suggested I go for the Hot Pastrami sandwich and I was more than happy about that choice.

I spent the last week in a small town in the midwest.  It was pretty intense culture shock.  I lived out in the middle of nowhere during high school, and I've been on tour and seen a lot of this country.  But staying in a place you're not from for that long can give you a lot of perspective.  I won't shop at Wal*Mart, I have no desire to eat at Arby's. I vote with my paycheck, by supporting local businesses and giving my money to my neighbors and to people who work hard and make our community a more enjoyable place to live.  This was a tremendously difficult ideology to uphold where I was. You'd never find a place like Tat's out there, and that's sad.

But I'm back now and a minute after I placed my order I had this in front of my face.





It's so good to be home.

The Hot Pastrami is "In-House smoked Pastrami & Swiss w/ spicy mustard on Rye bread" and it comes optionally with slaw.  I asked the nice lady at the counter if she thought I should get slaw and she offered it on the side, so I took it.  Glad I did.  Slaw on a sandwich is always good and next time I'll do it that way.  I was a bit worried it would make this sandwich into more of a Tat'strami clone, and without it the mustard and the awesome rye bread did really shine.  Tat's pastrami is always great, it's got a nice brine flavor and very mild smoke.  Wonderfully fatty and juicy, it's possibly the pinnacle of beef.  Cured in brine, covered in crushed black pepper and coriander and smoked, sliced thin and warmed on a grill until bits and pieces get crispy... damn.  Do you think if Mitt Romney ate one of these he'd stop being an ingorant piece of shit?  Probably not





No comments:

Post a Comment