Thursday, September 27, 2012

#3 Tat's Italian

I wanted to get another sandwich in this week, badly.  The words of my mentor, Irwin M. Fletcher were ringing through my head.


"I'll have a steak sandwich, and a... steak sandwich."

Braced to resist the urge for more steak I headed in to Tat's in the late afternoon. It was nice out and I decided to break into the 'Hoagies' section of the menu, previously uncharted.

The menu says "An East-Coast Classic ... Capricolla, Pepperham, Genoa Salami, Provolone with hot & sweet peppers!"  All subs come with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, seasonings, and mayo. I went with an 8" Italian with oil, vinegar, and yellow mustard. Up until the cheesesteak I had planned to order everything without modification, but that clearly didn't work for me last time so I decided to chalk it up as a mistake and move on.

An Italian is an Italian for the most part. This isn't supposed to be some revelatory adventure in gastronomic delight. It was fucking delicious. I devoured it. I felt 100x better about my life afterwards and I managed to not hate my job for about 30 minutes once I got back just by thinking about how great sandwiches are. What the hell else can you ask for?

The roll was nice, the cold cuts were as expected, and the toppings were fresh. With the oil and vinegar it was pretty zesty. Not dry, and not soaking wet. Next time I make my way back to the Tat's Italian I'll ask them to skip the "seasoning" and add some extra lettuce.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd walk back right now and order another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment