Monday, October 22, 2012

#6 Cajun Turkey

What the fuck can you say about 52 sandwiches that is worth saying?  That isn't the point of this, but it is nagging at me anyways.

I'm really feeling the Hoagies portion of the menu.  Continued on with the next one on the list.  I've been thinking that I just can not fucking wait for the roast beef coming up next, but I really want to save that for a sunny day.  It's getting cold and wet fast and I can already tell that hot sandwiches are going to be calling to me.

When it's raining in Seattle you can tell the tourists by their umbrellas. Natives wear hoods and hats and mainly they just suck it up.  Walked through the rain to Tat's and nearly got an eye poked out by an idiot girl with a giant UW umbrella texting while she walked down her left side of sidewalk around a corner.  Admissions standards for the University of Washington are clearly fucked.

The cajun turkey description reads "Our In-House Smoked Turkey all spiced up and served with Pepper Jack, roasted reds & hot pepper spread."  Wouldn't have known there was hot pepper spread if I hadn't read it, the mayo was out in force today.  The Italian roll was on its game as usual.  Turkey was the same as last time, a little dry to be honest and this time the smoke character wasn't very appealing.  The "cajun" part of this sandwich is nothing other than a cajun dry spice mixture sprinkled on the sliced turkey. That is weird, and the first bite was as disconcerting as I expected.  Wasn't feeling it.  Second bite and I thought I was going to throw it away.  Got some of the peppers on the third bite and then it made sense.  Get a straight whiff of the spice and it's not good - paprika, cayenne, probably garlic powder, etc. Given how much "Philly Cheesesteaks" have been bastardized outside of Philadelphia and you'd think Philadelphians would be a bit more conscientious about the blatant misrepresentation of another American regional food culture, but apparently not.

 That's a lot of sandwich.

After a bit I got into it and the whole thing kind of made sense.  Kind of.  You'd be hard pressed to put these peppers on this bun and put meat and cheese on it and have it not be damned good, but this one doesn't reach its potential.  I knew with a menu this huge there had to be some filler, and for me this is definitely it.

Didn't stop me from housing the whole thing in a few minutes, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment