Monday, June 24, 2013

#23 Chicken Salad

And now we begin the trilogy of sandwiches I have feared the most: salad. Tat's has chicken salad, tuna salad, and egg salad sandwiches. "Fresh, light, and delicious... like Mom used to make"


Into the breach we go...

As with all the hoagies, it comes on an "italian" roll with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, seasoning, and mayo. I opted against adding mustard or oil/vinegar on this.

I've been dreading these sandwiches. Not because I don't like chicken, egg, and tuna salad. I love them. All three. I grew up on tuna and chicken salad and my wife makes a mean egg salad that I will demolish with the reckless abandon that only a fat white guy can muster for something as passé as egg salad.

BUT...




I fucking hate celery. There's no other vegetable that I truly hate (except bean sprouts which are just asian celery) as much as this shit. It's fucking useless. Lots of people tell me this is weird, and maybe I've got some genetic abnormality that makes celery taste and feel differently than it does for others, but I'll be damned if it doesn't taste like bitter dirt and have the most unsettlingly nasty consistency I've ever experienced (and I've eaten nasty stuff like pickled duck tongue and szechuan style pork intestine, which have plenty weird consistency). 

For as much as people claim that celery doesn't taste like anything they sure love to fuck up a perfectly good turkey stuffing or chicken salad with it. So I knew this was coming, and I tried to soldier through. I picked out as much as I could. This sandwich wouldn't have been ordering even if you did like celery, though. It's fine, it's not bad, the chicken is in tiny chunks and is pretty dry in spite of all the mayo. It tastes like it has a bunch of curry powder in it, which isn't how MY mom made it. 

This is the first sandwich that has made me question wanting to do EVERY item on the menu. Not because it was bad, but because I didn't want to eat it and I'm still hungry (which hasn't happened at Tat's before) and I have both egg and tuna salad to look forward to.



No comments:

Post a Comment