Friday, October 11, 2013

#37 Chicken CheeseSteak

This is the last of the steaks on the Tat's menu. I'm trying to push through because I desperately wanted another Hoagie Steak. Honestly, the Chicken Steak was the least appealing of them, and one I've never had before, here or anywhere else.


I got mine with onions and fried peppers, I mixed up my usual Provolone today and went American. It was a pretty great choice, and I remembered why American was my old go-to for regular Cheese Steaks at other places. It's not as flavorful as Provolone, but it melts amazingly and has an even better flavor and consistency than the often cloying whiz option.


I ate in this time, I'd sworn to myself that I'd only ever eat at Tat's whenever I get a steak. It's a sandwich that just doesn't travel well, and Tat's is good enough that you should just give it its due and grab a table. It came out and, this picture just doesn't do the enormity of the 8" any justice. It's enormous. It takes up almost the entire basket. It was steaming and the smell was ridiculous, I couldn't help myself and just dove in. It was hot off the griddle and was way too hot for my sad little mouth. I burned my tongue. And then, overwhelmed by the sheer magic of the sandwich, I took another bite... and another... and another. I ended up with a few gnarly burns on my tongue and lips. I've never been driven to such masochism by a sandwich before. It was painful but entirely worth it.


The entire point behind this stupid blog is to eat some sandwiches on the enormous Tat's menu that I would have otherwise skipped. This sandwich certainly qualifies, and it's one of the clear diamonds in the rough, a magic combination of juicy chicken, beautiful melted cheese, super tasty grilled onions and peppers, and a fantastically warm and steamy roll to hold it all together. It's the hot girl next door of sandwiches. Chicken? Doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me. In this case it's phenomenal, though, and beyond that the sandwich is really more than the sum of its parts. This goes near the top of my list for things I'll revisit once I finish the menu, and I'd put it up against the Tat'strami as one of the top sandwiches that you can get on the entire menu. Go get one, or two, and don't skimp on the onions and fried peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment