Monday, August 12, 2013

#29 B.L.T.

"Thick-cut crisp Bacon...mmmm bacon" is the Tat's menu description of the BLT. Classic Tat's menu description. Inappropriate capitalization, ellipsis, seemingly drunken internal monologue commentary. If only it had an ampersand it would be the quintessential listing.






I was planning to hit up Tat's on Friday of last week but my friend wanted to mix it up, so we headed to Salumi at just before they open at 11. The line was 50 people deep, a mix of unimaginative yuppies and tourists. Friday is the worst day to get lunch in Pioneer Square. We ended up heading to Delicatus on 1st, which was terribly mediocre and undeserving of the little bit of good feedback I'd heard. A $10 sandwich should not be disappointing. The bar is low. Wish I'd gone to Tat's, so I made it up to myself today.

Following on the bacon-heels of the Bacon, Egg, & Cheese breakfast sandwich, I decided to cross another Hoagie off of my list. Just the Roast Veggie, Tuna, and Egg Salad remain, unsurprisingly. There's a 99% chance the egg salad will be next on the Hoagies and the Tuna Salad will be last.





Good ol' Tat's, putting the B in BLT. This isn't a sandwich I'd order under normal circumstances. I make BLTs under one circumstance: I've got homemade bacon and fresh local tomatoes. None other. Not really my jam. You need killer ingredients, and as I've covered before, Tat's bacon is just fine, grocery store quality stuff. This isn't fine dining, it's a $1 per inch hoagie. And for what it is, god damn it was good.





I spiced mine up with yellow mustard, oil, and vinegar. It was a good choice. The mustard and vinegar helped cut the cold fat of the bacon. I'd have been a lot happier with hot, or even warm bacon. The tomatoes were nice and ripe, and there was a ton of lettuce. I love iceburg lettuce. White people are so fucking corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment